AdSense Full Screen test

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Prickly Pear Dressing

Prickly pear is basically a fruit of a cactus (aka cactus figs, Indian fig or tuna). It makes a simple wonderful festive dressing and even though it’s sweet, it’s good for your blood sugar and only has 25 calories.
Source
Improvised
Taste 5 (out of 5)
Difficulty 2 (out of 5)
Ingredients
- 1 prickly pear (40 cal)
- 1/4 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp agave nectar (10 cal)
Total 50 cal, 2 servings, 25 cal/ serving
Instructions
1. Peel the prickly pear and process in a blender until smooth. Put through strainer. 
2. Add the agave nectar and the balsamic vinegar to the prickly pear juice and mix well. 
3. Serve with green (or any other) salad.
Afterthoughts
- Rich red color and sweet tangy taste. Looks and taste very festive. 
- And it’s good for you, especially if you are worried about blood sugar, because both agave nectar and prickly pears have very low glycemic indexes.

6 comments:

Ed Schenk said...

We have a Mexican grocery I can get the pear and the nectar at.I think I'll give the dressing a try.

sweetlife said...

I love prickly pear...with agave..yummy!!

sweetlife

Angie's Recipes said...

Never had prickly pear...sounds very healthy and delicious though.

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

I have never had prickly pear, though it does sound very interesting! I like that it is low GI.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Very unusual and intriguing! Will certainly try this if I ever get hold of some pricly pear :)

Devaki said...

Hi! I love prickly pear margaritas so I know I'll love your dressing. And the agave nectar - piece de resistance!

Thanks for your visit on my blog ;)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandlflavors