Makes a great healthy brunch on a spring weekend, and only 140 calories.
Inspired by the Spinach Gratin from the Linden Tea blog -there are lots of beautiful recipes on that blog :-)
Taste 4 (out of 5)
Difficulty 2 (out of 5)
- 150 g / half medium-sized broccoli (50 cal)
- 3 large kale leaves (35 cal)
- 3 large eggs (210 cal)
- 1 clove garlic (5 cal)
- 3 green onions (5 cal)
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar (or other) cheese (135 cal)
- 1 tbsp canola oil (120 cal)
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and black pepper to taste
Total 560 cal, 4 servings, 140 cal/ serving
1. Roughly chop broccoli, kale, garlic and green onions.
2. In a large (9-10 inch) oven proof frying pan heat canola oil and sauté broccoli and garlic over medium heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add kale and sauté for 2 more minutes.
3. Beat eggs with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix in the green onions. Pour the mixture into the frying pan over the broccoli and continue cooking for 10 more minutes on medium low heat.
4. In the meantime preheat the oven to 350F. Bake the frittata in the oven for about 10 minutes.
5. Sprinkle the ground cheese over the frittata, turn the broiler on and cook for about 5 more minutes until the cheese is melted and golden brown. If you don’t have a broiler increase the oven temperature to 450F and bake until the cheese melts.
My biggest mistake in this recipe was sautéing the kale. I should have boiled it or steamed it (like the steamed spinach in the Linden Tea recipe ). The broccoli becomes softer after sautéing and the texture is perfect for a frittata, but the kale turns crispy and flake, like kale fries :-). Other than that it’s a very nice satisfying meal, especially for a weekend brunch.